Azienda Agricola Gianluca Polidori
 
Lucivola

CASTELLO DI PORETA AND THE AREA

Positioned at the top of a hillside, at 470m altitude, is the medieval Castello di Poreta, from where it is possible to admire all the evocative beauty of the whole valley from Spoleto to Trevi. Today Castello di Poreta consists of the almost fully intact defensive walls, forming a polygonal shape, with two entrances; one on the valley side, looking onto the present day village which lies below, and the other halfway up the slope near the church of Santa Maria della Misericordia. Inside the high defensive walls lies a centuries-old terraced olive grove, which grows among the ruins of the old settlement.


History

Where Castello di Poreta now stands there was once a villa, which subsequently became a fortified village only towards the end of the 1200s. Around the second half of the 1400s, due to frequent pillaging by bandits, a defensive wall was erected around the old village, giving rise to a settlement with the typical traditional layout of central Italian hill villages, with a conglomeration of houses all resting one against the other. This particular village became the focal point of a larger area of settlement which stretched out between the hillside and the Spoleto valley. Towards the second half of the 1700s, after the devastating earthquake of 1703, the village within the walls was gradually abandoned, as the inhabitants rebuilt their homes outside the defensive walls using the stones from the houses which had been destroyed. Following another earthquake in 1781, the bishop Francesco Loccatelli set in motion the considerable work required to rebuild the medieval Chiesa di San Cristoforo, built at the top of the fortified village in the second half of the 1400s. The church was rebuilt thanks to numerous donations and the 18th century architectural style reinforced the church walls, modifying the original medieval layout. The church was subsequently dedicated to Santa Maria della Misericordia, as the image of the Madonna inside the church was miraculously undamaged by the earthquakes.

In 1828, Leone XII granted to the Chapel of S.M. della Misericordia all the land inside the defensive walls where the village had once stood.

Later, in 1867, as a result of the conversion laws introduced with the Kingdom of Italy, this land was bought by the Pranzetti family, who to this day have maintained the original use and appearance of the land.

Castello di Poreta - mura con ingresso inferiore
apri
apri
apri
apri
apri
apri
apri
apri
apri
apri
apri
apri
apri
apri
apri
apri
apri
apri
apri
apri
apri
apri


english · italiano